Throughout my studies in veterinary school as well as continuing education courses, I have taken every opportunity to grow more in my profession, knowledge, and skills. Below, I have listed many of the wetlabs, conferences, and voluntary courses that I have attended.
- Earn about 12 hours of continuing education per year.
- Participated in interactive presentations to discuss diagnosis and treatment of complicated diseases.
- Earned 30 hours of continuing education.
- Worked on team and used critical thinking to troubleshoot potential problems that arise during a disaster.
- Performed C-section as lead surgeon.
- Provided perioperative care including sedation, surgical prep, and cared for newborn calves.
- Learned strategies for increasing revenue and managing staff effectively.
- Discussed contract law, practice lawsuits and liability, and insurance policies.
- Practiced performing common techniques used in ECC including: placing an SPL, abdominocentesis, inserting temporary tracheotomy tubes, and placing a chest tube.
- Learned about alternative medicine indications and techniques such as acupuncture and chiropractic methods.
- Used ultrasound to identify various anatomic structures in the abdomen, thorac, and distal limb.
- Performed a hysterectomy on a cadaver chicken
- Discussed surgical treatments of ferret diseases such as insulinomas and adrenal disease.
- Performed common surgeries on cadaver ferrets.
- Completed a public health and food safety course at Padua University in northern Italy.
- Visited various food institutions and farms to observe their sanitation and HACCP procedures.
- Experienced living and attending classes in a foreign country and embracing the Italian culture.
- Discussed the differential diagnoses for various blood cells seen on blood smears and practiced identifying them.
- Learned to identify various crystals, bacteria, and casts from artifact.
- Reviewed proper preparation and collection techniques.
- Discussed differential diagnoses based on U/A findings.
- Learned mouse handling, husbandry, colony maintenance, breeding techniques and management.
- Learned how to properly restrain and handle ferrets, rabbits, hedgehogs, hamsters, and other pocket pets.
- Performed physical exams and practiced palpating various organs in small mammals.
- Administered vaccines and dewormer to ferrets, as well as did trim nails and cleaned ears.
- Attended many lectures and demonstrations on topics pertaining to laboratory animal medicine and research.
- Participated in “Mouse School”; mouse handling, injection and blood collection techniques, and anesthesia methods.
- Attended a suturing lab where I practiced various patterns and learned a new 2-handed technique.
- Reviewed the Code of Federal Regulations by FDA on GLP for nonclinical laboratory studies.
- Participated in an ultrasound wetlab, focusing on FAST ultrasound and evaluating the heart in an emergency situation.
- Earned 31 hours of CE.
Performing sacrococcygeal blocks